Oven baked sweet potato fries make a delicious side to almost any dish. These sweet potato fries are soft and full of flavor. What’s even better? They are super easy to make and yams are so healthy for you.
Yams vs. Sweet Potatoes
So what is the difference between a yam and a sweet potato? Apparently, the orange fleshed vegetable with pointy ends that I always call a yam is actually a sweet potato. So what about the white, rounded end sweet potatoes? Also a sweet potato.
A true yam has rough, dark skin with an almost hairy texture. The flesh inside is white or purple and it is dry and starchy. Yams only grow in tropical regions and are typically larger, up to five feet long. They are actually rarely seen in U. S. Grocery stores.
White, rounded sweet potatoes are sweet potatoes as well and are members of the night shade family. They are close relatives of potatoes. The orange or red garnet brown yams are technically sweet potatoes. They are a members of the morning glory family. The name yams is a misnomer.
I used orange sweet potato here because they are my favorite and they taste a little bit sweeter to me. Feel free to use white or red ones. A mix of the different colored sweet potatoes might be interesting to try.
A very quick and simple recipe, simply peel and cut the sweet potatoes. Then drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix. Next bake for 20 to 25 minutes and enjoy!
These make a great dish to serve next to homemade burgers, roasted chicken, pork chops or just about anything else.
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 3 Sweet potatoes
- 3 Tbs Olive Oil
- ⅛ tsp. Salt more or less to taste
- ⅛ tsp. Pepper more or less to taste
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Peel sweet potatoes and rinse off in cold water. Cut sweet potatoes lengthwise into wedges. Each sweet potatoes will probably make about 8 wedges but you can adjust this if your sweet potatoes are a little larger or smaller.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix then place on a cookie sheet lined with a silicone or parchment paper liner. Spread into a flat layer.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft and beginning to lightly brown.
These oven baked sweet potato fries would also be great with my easy Dill Salmon recipe!