These yummy oatmeal muffins really hit the spot. With only about 10 minutes of prep time you will be rewarded with these moist, delectable morsels with hearty oatmeal and sweet raisins. They are so good when they are warm and just out of the oven. The outside should be slightly crunchy as you bite into them with a soft middle. Best served cut in half and spread with a little butter.
These muffins are very easy to cook. Just give yourself a few extra minutes while the oatmeal is soaking in the milk and vinegar. The rest is simply following the list of ingredients and adding them in. I use old fashioned oats, however you could use instant oats, if this is what you have on hand.
Muffins are one of my go-to comfort foods. There is nothing like waking up on a chilly morning and heating up the oven to make muffins. A toasty muffin with a little butter will warm you up from the inside out and nourish your spirit as well as your body. They make you house smell great too.
These muffins are so much better than store bought. Greasy, overly sugary muffins from a shelf are packed with preservatives and wrapped in plastic. It is worth the time to make delicious homemade muffins and avoid the unhealthy so called muffins from the store.
To make simply combine the oatmeal, milk and vinegar. Let it stand for about 15 minutes. While you are waiting you can grease your muffin pan and make coffee. Then preheat your oven to 425º.
Add the egg and oil to your oatmeal mixture. Mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Then add these dry ingredients to oatmeal mixture, stirring gently just enough to moisten. Add your raisins but make sure not to over mix so your muffins don’t get tough.
Fill each muffin cup about ⅔ full. Bake for about 20 minutes until edges of muffins are golden brown.
Leftover muffins also make great snacks and are easy to throw in a lunchbox for a little treat. You can also try substituting blueberries or dried cranberries for the raisins. Or leave out the fruit entirely, if you are not a fan.
- 1 cup Oatmeal
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 Tb. Vinegar
- 1 cup Flour
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- 3 t. Baking powder
- ½ t. Salt
- 1 Egg
- ¼ c. Olive oil
- 1 t. Cinnamon
- ½ cup Rasins
- Combine the oatmeal, milk and vinegar. Let stand for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425º.
- Grease muffin pan with oil or butter.
- Add egg and oil to oatmeal mixture and combine.
- Mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Then add dry ingredients to oatmeal mixture, stirring gently just enough to moisten.
- Add raisins. And gently mix in. Do not over mix to prevent muffins from becoming tough.
- Fill each muffin cup about ⅔ full. Bake for 20 minutes or until edges of muffins are golden brown.
* I have also made these muffins without soaking the oatmeal, they still turn out fine and delicious but do have a slightly more chewy texture.
You might also like to look at my kitchen tips and tricks!