This mouth watering lemon cake is so good. Moist and dense, I highly recommend this recipe. It is rich in big lemon flavor but is not too sweet. The cream cheese frosting is optional, but adds a nice balance of creamy goodness.
Incredible Lemon Cake
It is very quick and easy to make. In fact, it is so simple that my young teen age sons made this cake with only minimal help in the kitchen. They enjoy the eating part to the cooking process the most. But over the last few years they have been cooking quite a bit and are very competent in the kitchen.
Desserts are, without a doubt, my boys’ favorite thing to prepare, and eat. This lemon cake was no exception. The pan was cleaned out very quickly.
You can't go wrong
If you are not very experienced in baking, no worries, this recipe is forgiving. Most likely this cake will still turn out delicious even if the measurements are a little bit off one way or another. Just give it a try and let me know how it turns out.
Lemon cake has always been a family favorite. This cake in particular reminds me of my grandmother. My Grandmother often craved lemon pastries and goodies. I have fond memories of my mother or aunt bringing over a similar lemon cake for all of the family to enjoy.
Because it is simple to make, this cake would be a great addition to a week night meal. It would also be easy to dress up a little bit and enjoy it for a Sunday brunch or a fancier occasion.
I especially think of lemon flavors as being delicious in the spring, although this recipe would be great anytime of year. Pair it with spring berries for an especially delicious treat!
I hope that you try out this recipe and enjoy it as much as we did.
Incredible Lemon Cake
- ⅓ c. Butter
- ¾ c. Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 ¼ c. Flour
- 1 ¼ t. Baking powder
- Zest of one lemon
- Zest of one orange
- ½ c. Milk
- ⅓ c. Lemon juice
For the frosting
- 2 oz Cream Cheese softened
- ½ t. Vanilla
- 1 c. Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat until light and fluffy. Without stirring, add flour, sprinkle baking powder over the top of flour.
- Then grate lemon and orange zest over top of flour. In a seperate bowl mix together milk and lemon juice then gradually pour in as you carefully mix the dry ingredients together.
- Bake in a greased 8 by 8 inch pan for 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool before frosting.
- For the forsting combine the cream cheese, vanilla and powdered sugar until creamy and smooth. If it is too thin add a little more powdered sugar, 2 Tbs. at a time until it is the desired consistency. Spread over cake. Garnish with orange peel or zest, if desired.
Also check out my kitchen tips and tricks!