This is a rich and creamy, and very satisfying healthy beef stroganoff. Full of distinctive Stroganoff flavor its scrumptious noodles, sauce and beef come together to melt in your mouth.
It uses less beef, replacing it for black beans. The beans add fiber and are full of folic acid and vitamins. Reducing the amount of noodles from a traditional recipe, this also slightly reduces the amount of carbohydrates.
The kids always enjoy this immensely, as well. Initially, they were a little leery of the beans but once they began eating they really didn’t even notice. Personally, I think the beans also add a nice texture to the creamy pasta.
A quick and easy recipe, this is great for a hearty week night meal. Serve with a fresh green salad and another cooked vegetable on the side. It would also pair well with a rustic red wine.
The essential ingredients for healthy beef stroganoff might surprise you. Nothing can bring more flavor and taste sensation to your meal that onions, slowly caramelized. Also essential is the famous sauce with the bold tangy flavor, Worcestershire, which give Stroganoff its distinctive taste. Lastly, black beans are scrumptious, hearty and just bursting with nutrition.
I used whole milk for this recipe, although you could easily use what ever you have on hand. This hearty pasta dish would be even better with about 2 cups of sliced mushrooms, sadly I didn’t have any on hand. You could easily add any other of your favorite vegetables that you have. As you can see this, like many of my recipes are very flexible and you have wiggle room to add your own favorites.
The essential ingredients you will need are:
- ground beef
- wide egg noodles
- black beans
- Worcestershire Sauce
- mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper
Storing and reheating
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. This beef stroganoff is one of those recipes that improves when you are eating the leftovers a day or two later. Eat within about four to five days for best flavor.
I recommend reheating this stroganoff on the stove top in a skillet over medium heat. Add a few tablespoons of milk or water to the pan to help prevent sticking and to moisten the noodles. Add the stroganoff and cover with a lid. Stir frequently and gently until noodles are hot. Add more water or milk if needed to adjust the consistency.
You will find a printable version of the recipe below but here is a quick summary about how to cook this easy recipe.
Warm a skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and ground beef. Break up ground beef and stir as it begins to cook and lightly brown.
Add minced garlic and celery, reduce heat and continue to cook. Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to boil. Add noodles to boiling water and cook until just al dente.
Drain and rinse black beans then add to meat mixture. Sprinkle flour over meat mixture and then stir in to incorporate flour. Add cooked noodles, milk, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and ½ cup of the cheese.
Gently stir all together. Simmer for about 10 more minutes. Sauce will thicken as it cooks. Top with remaining cheese and chives.
- ½ lb. ground beef
- 2 slices sweet onion chopped, about ¾ cup
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 can black beans rinsed
- 3 cups wide egg noodles
- ⅓ cup flour
- 3 ¼ cups milk
- 2-3 Tb. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 t. Salt more or less to taste
- ½ t. Black pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese split
- ¼ cup fresh chives
- Warm a skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion and ground beef. Break up ground beef and stir as it begins to cook and lightly brown.
- Drain off grease and throw away. Add minced garlic and celery, reduce heat and continue to cook.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to to boil. Add noodles to boiling water and cook until just al dente.
- Drain and rinse black beans then add to meat mixture.
- Sprinkle flour over meat mixture and then stir in to incorporate flour.
- Add cooked noodles, milk, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and ½ cup of the cheese.
- Gently stir all together. Simmer for about 10 more minutes. Sauce will thicken as it cooks. Remove from heat and top with remaining cheese and chives.
Please leave your questions, comments and ratings below.