Sweet and buttery with just the right amount of festivity these Firework Cookies are a must have treat for summer. Whether it’s a full blown Fourth of July party or just you, they will be a hit. These red, white and blue shortbread cookies really melt in your mouth.
Not only super fun and festive but they are also really easy to make. With only 5 ingredients they come together very quickly and easily. These cookies are great for kids of all ages.
You will shape the dough into a log and let it chill, then slice. That makes preparing and baking them very simple.
I usually go camping for the Fourth of July but I am not sure what I’ll be doing this year. Lounging by a lake is my idea of a good time. I guess I’ll just have to just have to wait and see.
Whatever your Fourth of July plans are you definitely need some celebration in your life. These yummy cookies are a great way to celebrate!
I love the red white and blue motif of the sprinkles as well. They remind me of my childhood and running around outside on hot summer evenings. It calls to mind of the smell of freshly mowed grass, blue plastic wading pools and backyard barbecues.
This recipe is easy to half for a smaller batch.
You can also freeze the dough in the wax paper to bake later. Wrap in additional plastic wrap or wax paper and place in the freezer. Defrost at room temperature or in the refrigerator overnight. Then slice and bake.
You will need 2 sticks of butter for this recipe. Make sure to leave them at room temperature for several hours before you plan to bake to soften them. These cookies are very simple to make. Here is a list of the ingredients you will need:
- Butter, softened
- Granulated sugar
- Red white and blue sprinkles
Store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. Eat within three or 4 days for the best flavor and freshness.
You can also freeze the cookies to enjoy later. Freeze in an airtight container then defrost at room temperature.
To make my Fireworks shortbread cookies simply cream together your butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. This will take about 5 minutes with a mixer and maybe a little longer if mixing by hand. Then mix in the vanilla.
Add your flour and stir until everything is incorporated but don’t over mix. Your dough will be crumbly at this point. Use your hands to bring it all together into a ball.
Now you will place the dough on waxed paper or plastic wrap and roll into a log. Wrap the log in the paper or plastic, twist the ends and tuck them under. Place it in the refrigerator and let it chill for at least one hour.
When you are ready to bake, preheat your oven to 375º. Slice the dough into ¼ inch slices.
Spread your sprinkles out on a small plate. Press one side of each cookie into the sprinkles until it is coated.
Place the cookies on cookie sheet about ½ an inch apart. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes. You will want to avoid over baking these cookies because it will make them too hard. So make sure to remove from the oven before they begin to turn brown.
- 1 cup butter softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 container of red white and blue sprinkles 1.75 oz
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. This will take about 5 minutes with a mixer and a little longer if mixing by hand.
- Then mix in vanilla.
- Add flour and stir until it is all incorporated but don’t over mix. The dough will be crumbly. Use your hands to bring it all together into a ball.
- Place the dough on waxed paper or plastic wrap and roll into a log. Wrap the log in the paper or plastic and twist the ends. Place in the refrigerator and chill for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375º. Slice dough into ¼ inch slices.
- Spread sprinkles out on a small plate. Press one side of each cookie into the sprinkles until it is coated.
- Place on cookie sheet about ½ an inch apart. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes. Avoid over baking. Make sure to remove from the oven before they begin to turn brown.
You also might like my ginger sparkler mocktail or potato chip cookies!
Please make sure to leave your questions, comments and ratings below.
Such a good cookie recipe. These are soft a buttery and so much fun with the red, white and blue sprinkles. Thank you.